Subscribe if you want more!

Saturday, January 19, 2013

On our way to the Land Down Under

Hello Everyone! By now, I feel reasonably assured that anyone crazy enough to be following my travels already knows who I am, and has a good idea of who my lovely partner in crime is (No, not Tom), Kristi. However, for those new to the report, a little run down may be necessary.
Me: Alex Smith, now 26yrs old, intrepid traveler, in love with life and his girl friend/recently turned fiancée Kristi. Kristi: 24yrs old, wonderfully beautiful, larger than life spirit, and a fanciful dreamer.




Together, our plan is to travel the world, and I aim to do everything necessary to make it happen.

By now, the previous adventure in which my riding partner Tom Reuter and I undertook a ride from Seattle to Argentina during the Spring, Summer, and Fall of 2011, is but a memory. However there are some among us that bear scars as proof of the journey. Along that journey came many ridiculous and adventurous situations, comical incidents, and disastrous events.


Everything ended well however, and that journey can be found here on Advrider: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673764


Alternatively, it can also be found here on Horizons Unlimited: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...ities-no-56396
   

In the 13 months that have elapsed between my return from South America, and our current recent departure from the USA and arrival in Australia, a few eventful things have happened. I went back to my old job for a few weeks, bought a radical 2009 DR650 from a member of the ADVrider community, road it home across the states from Alabama, got a job at a motorcycle shop for 7 months, got a job laying carpet for 10 weeks, and rode miscellaneous motorcycles a total of over 15k miles. Basically, I spent the first summer at home in over 7 years. My parents were happy, my friends were happy, Kristi was very happy, and life was good. Best of all, I asked Kristi to marry me, and she said yes.


In the interim period, Kristi and I developed the best laid plans of mice and men, and purchased working holiday visas for the Country/Continent of the famous Land Down Under, aka Australia. Shortly thereafter, we bought ourselves some one way tickets. For us, it was the next logical step. Without a serious stash of cash in the bank, we planned to allow Australia to provide us the opportunity to travel the country, why supporting ourselves financially while we’re there. We hoped it would work out as well, as the one way plane tickets, and non-refundable visa applications set us back just under $2,800 USD.


Well, we’ve only just arrived here in Sydney, Australia, and we were lucky enough to know someone here that could come collect us. My friend, Josh, whom bought a motorcycle from another traveling partner while in Panama, and then rode it to Vancouver, BC before flying home, collected us at the airport. We don’t know what will happen next, nor do we have a general plan other than finding jobs nearly ASAP. We’ll go where the wind blows us, and if we’re lucky enough, we’ll find a cheap motorcycle to ride when we can. What happens after Australia is also unknown, but we now have a wedding to keep in mind, and Kristi will not likely let me forget that!


The events have since transpired as follows!


We’re off! At least, that’s what I was thinking on the morning of Wednesday, January 16th. I hadn’t slept more than a couple of hours that night. Why? Because. Like always I had left 100% off my packing to the very last minute. It was reminiscent of a previous trip I seem to remember. Anyhow, it happened that I only forgot one thing; my camera battery charger. However, it was already charged. That previous adventure had me riding nearly 200 miles on 2hrs of sleep. This time, my sister, and her lovely children, my niece Ellie (4yrs) and nephew Spencer (2yrs) came up from their apartment (basement of the house) to see Kristi and I before we took off. Brandon, my brother in law, couldn’t be bothered. He’s too practical, as he knows I’ll have to come back eventually!


Please meet my lovely sister and her babies.


When I left home the first time, Ellie had just turned 2yrs old, and Spencer hadn’t been born as my Sister was 7.5 months pregnant. This time, I have a chance of being remembered when I come home. My sister gave me a proper goodbye. She also made me kickass travel cards (business cards for travelers) that have a picture of Kristi and I on the front with our names and emails. AWESOME.


Kristi spent the night at her family’s house the night before, and that morning Kristi’s mom Debbie dropped her off at my house. Please meet my future Mother in Law! Mom #2.


My Dad on the other hand, never likes to see me go away for any length of time. However, he fully understands. He’s the one that taught me anyhow. So in lieu of better options, he pretends to be ok with everything. Jolly even. It’s a good thing too, because if he got emotional, I would too. And then so would Kristi, and surely our mothers would follow suit, and then we’d all be a mess. So here is my Dad, with a rather bland look on his face, as if to say, “Heeeey”. I’m sure you can imagine. Meet my father.

He takes more pictures than I do however, and always has his camera around. He’s old school though, and won’t buy himself a kick ass camera. I might have to gift him one some time. Here he is saying goodbye the best he knows how.


Somehow, I finagled my lovely mother into driving Kristi and I to the Vancouver International Airport. Turns out she pulled a fast one, and used it as an excuse to visit her brother, my uncle, while in Canada. Here’s my lovely mother.


Kristi and I decided that a parting shot would be wise. We want to know what we used to look like a year from now. Maybe we’ll have tan bodies? Not likely, not for me at least.


Neither of us had ever been in the departing area of the Vancouver airport before, and thought that the large salt water aquarium was pretty neat. There were all kinds of local sea life inside.


Sooner than later, we were seated on our flight. We flew via China Eastern Airlines from Vancouver, B.C to Shanghai, China (Pudong International Airport) as our first leg. It was 12hrs and 15 minutes. However, every seat had a video screen with its personal controller/game controller, and while I read an entire book by Robert Heinlein, Kristi watched 4 movies.


We were fed numerous times. One of the snacks looked like a poppy seed hamburger bun, but turned out to be a meat pie. It thought it was good, but Kristi hand me hers. More for me!


Upon arrival in Shanghai, we were herded like goats through the International transfer area to the bordering area for our next flight.


We decided to take a rest and sit down for a while.


Kristi however, decided to do an imitation Gangnam style dance while she had the chance to be in China.


For those of you, like me, that don’t know what that means. Check this video at 27 seconds to get the idea.




About 12hrs, another book, and 2.5 meals later. Kristi could be found celebrating our arrival in Sydney. Note the massive suitcase under her travel backpack. We came prepared for everything.


20 minutes later, we were in the 15 minute parking lot waiting area piling our worldly belongings into a mini cooper that had a steering wheel on the wrong side. Josh was at the wheel! Not only was it nice and sunny the day we arrived in Australia, it was also the hottest day ever recorded in history in Sydney with temps hitting 45.8* C (a whopping 114*F). It was outrageously hot.


However, we had no time to loose, and after checking in with Josh at his place, we changed our clothes, took a shower, and went for a walk while Josh went back to work. After Josh returned from work, the three of us took off to the local train station to head down town for a show.


Josh gave us a bit our tour on the way to the State Theater.


We didn’t know it, but Josh had weaseled his way into a few complimentary tickets to see David Byrne and St. Vicent, live. I had no idea what I was in for.


This was the interior of the theater. It’s easily one of the nicest, if not the nicest that I’ve ever been to.


Presently we were being acoustically accosted by the awesome music of David Byrne and his musical partner St. Vincent. And it was awesome.



If you guys don’t know who David Byrne is by name or by sight, as I didn’t. Check this link, as I’m sure the majority of you have heard this guy before. He’s epic.

  
After the show, we went back to Josh’s and hung out. Then today, Saturday the 19th, we did more of the same. However I have managed to apply for 4 totally different jobs, and will be looking for more tomorrow as well.

Life is good amigos!

--Alex and Kristi

3 comments:

  1. Right on Al! Get a job you bum! Keep the pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I am very jealous to see you having adventures while I sit here and study for the bar. Best of luck in the job hunt and I look forward to reading future updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice new blog, keep the pictures coming of the two of you and your new adventure. Enjoy:-)

    ReplyDelete